Pages

Thursday, March 12, 2020

Levain: Day 7 Feeding

Hootch that formed overnight while I was sleeping.

I finally poured the hootch into a glass and tasted it. It's awful - NOT recommended to taste.
You can taste it but it is nasty. I then went ahead an feed Fred.

Freshly feed and aerated well. Covered and put back in a warm spot.
I'll feed again in about 12 hours. I've been feeding twice a day for this past week - 
though a couple of the days I missed the 2nd feeding, the levain will be just fine anyway.


EDIT:

2 hours after the second feeding today - rising nicely and good bubbling.

I did a float test on it - passed. It's floating.
To do a float test: Do the test at "peak time" - that is 2 to 6 hours after feeding. 
Get a glass of water, do NOT stir the levain but get a small spoon of it and drop into the water.
It should float - for a little bit at least. You might see some bubbling in the water too 
- that is a good sign as well as the floating levain.

I'll be making Sourdough Bread soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment