Pages

Friday, March 6, 2020

Levain: Day 1 Feeding

Got some Hootch from my leavening (sourdough starter) - drinks anyone? Haha. 
What the hootch means: your levain (starter) is hungry. Just pour it off and feed it.

They say it's about 10% alcohol -- and tastes nasty!! 
I might try it next time I get it (if I do) so I can say I've tried Hootch!! 
Poured off the hootch, split the levain - and feed it.

 You just split the levain in half and with the one you are going to feed: add the 1:1 ratio of flour and water needed. In my case I removed 1/2 cup of levain then added 1/2 cup flour and 1/2 cup water then I mixed it well - loosely covered so the levain can get air.

With the removed levain, I will make a primitive rustic flatbread 
- I can also make a pancake with it or savory pie crust from it.


No comments:

Post a Comment